Sunday 18 April 2010

Easter hot cross buns

I've never made hot cross buns, so thought I would
give it a go on Easter Monday.

I consulted Delia and here's what happened...

It's basically like making bread as you have to let the dough
rise twice, but what I thought would be a complicated
process is actually suprisingly simple.

The key ingredients are the ground mixed spice,
cinnamon, nutmeg, currants and candied peel, all of which give
the buns that sweet but slightly bitter, tangy taste.

Once you've let the dough rise for an hour or so, you knead it
again, divide the mixture up into 12 round buns, score a cross on the
top, cover, and leave to rise for another half hour.

Meanwhile, the best bit... making the crosses, which are a flour
and water paste, rolled out and cut into strips.

So cook them in a hot oven for 20 mins or so, and make a
glaze from granulated sugar and hot water...

Once they're cooked, brush them with the glaze and they're done!

I like them cut in half, toasted under the grill, spread with butter
and placed strategically near a Jack Wills mug.

Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a fashion writer/baking enthusiast based in North London.

I'm particularly keen on icing and decoration as I love painstakingly laborious tasks, but the cakes taste great too.

Should you wish to get in touch re a commission, please do!

Email: alicethebaker@hotmail.co.uk

Followers